When you go dairy-free, there are hundreds of thousands of "cashew based" cheese recipes and my palate despises about 99% of those. I promise this tastes nothing like nutritional yeast! it's great for superbowl parties or any gathering where you need a warm dip. I serve with corn-free chips like Beanitos. Keep in mind it makes almost 6 cups so half accordingly.
· 1½ cups cashews, soaked for at least an 1 hour, drained
· 1 orange bell pepper, roughly chopped
· 1 cup unsweetened almond milk
· 2 tsp. chili powder
· ¼ cup nutritional yeast
· ¼ cup minced onion
· 2 tbsp. taco seasoning- I use a homemade mix.
· 2 15 oz. cans, black beans, rinsed an drained
· 12 oz. fresh salsa
· Optional garnishes: cilantro, sliced green onions.
1. Soaking the nuts is a great way to help them digest easier and it removes the phytic acid. Cover nuts with water and let soak for 8 hrs (or overnight). Drain and rinse the soaked cashews.
2. In the blender, place the cashews, orange bell pepper, milk, chili powder, and nutritional yeast. Puree until thick and creamy.
3. In a large saucepan over medium heat, add a little water (a TBSP or two) add the minced onion and sauté until translucent. The water just helps it from sticking to the bottom without needing oil. Add the taco seasoning, black beans and fresh salsa. Keep stirring until the mixture is heated all the way through.
4. Add in the cheese sauce from the blender and mix everything together.
5. Season to taste with salt/pepper if needed. I find it needs salt but careful not to over salt as it’s a fine balance.
6. Add optional garnishes if you want and serve with Beanitos as a corn-free chip.