I LIKE THIS FOR A QUICK WEEKDAY DINNER. BECAUSE THE RICE IS ALREADY MADE, AND YOU CAN PRE-COOK THE CHICKEN BREASTS TOO, THE MEAL CAN BE THROWN TOGETHER IN ABOUT HALF AN HOUR. I MISS TRADITIONAL FRIED RICE SO THIS IS A SUPER CLOSE, AND MUCH HEALTHIER, ALTERNATIVE.
Yield- 2 large servings. Prep time - 30min Cook time - 1 1/2 hrs.
· 3 cups cooked rice- Basmati or Jasmine. I’ve made this with sprouted brown rice too.
· 1 chicken breast
· 1 head of broccoli and 2 medium carrots
· 3/4 cup low sodium Tamari (GF soy sauce)
· 1/2 cup water
· 1/3 cup brown sugar or coconut sugar
· 1 tablespoon honey
· 3/4 teaspoon ground ginger
· 1 teaspoon sesame oil
· 1 small garlic clove, minced fine
· 2 tablespoons tapioca starch
· 2 tablespoons cold water
1. Make the rice per the directions. Now here is the trick! Don’t use the rice for a day or two. Left over fridge rice is the best kind for a fried rice dish!
2. Get started by preheating the oven to 350F
3. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper
4. Chop the broccoli into little florets and coat with about 2 TBSP of melted coconut oil, salt and pepper.
5. Bake for 20min.
6. While the broccoli is baking, grate the carrots and I like to throw them on the broccoli pan about 15 min in just so they have about 5 minutes to heat up.
FOR THE TERIYAKI SAUCE
7. In a medium saucepan, stir together the tamari, water, sugar, honey and garlic over high heat. Bring this to a boil for just about a minute.
8. While the sauce is heating up, using a small bowl, whisk together the cold water and tapioca starch. Use about a teaspoon of the boiling mixture and add it to the tapioca water.
9. Now slowly pour the tapioca water into the boiling mixture.
10. Turn off the heat and keep whisking the hot mixture until it starts to thicken. Set aside.
11. In the same 350F oven, and once the broccoli is done, place the chicken breast in a glass pan and pour 1 C of the teriyaki sauce over it. Bake for 30 min then shred.
12. Add the rice, veggies, shredded chicken and what’s left of the sauce into a 8x9 glass baking dish and pop in the oven for 15 minutes.
13. Eat immediately and Enjoy